Saturday, July 23, 2011

J.K. Rowling (aka The Richest Classicist of All Time)

If you're like me then you have read all of the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies, including the most recent and final entry of the series "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Deux!"

Having finished reading these books long ago, the movies are just an obligatory social event for me at this point. I've seen worse movies to be sure (i.e. Avatar), but the fanaticism with which some of my friends (who shall remain unnamed) were overtaken as we drove to the theater was lost on me.

But I am not writing this as a movie review. As a Classicist (for those who don't already know I can read Latin and I can pretend to read Classical Greek to some extent), I find the funnest part about the books and movies to be the spells Rowling has "created". Many, but not all, of the spells are based on Latin and Classical Greek. I would imagine that this is a result of Rowling being something of a Classicist herself (source - cause we're legit here at IYLM).

If you have not read the books or seen the last movie, then you must be in suspense as to whether or not the Dark Lord Voldemort defeats our young hero.  In the event that Harry is killed and a new age of darkness descends upon us muggles, I feel it is my duty to arm you with some spells to use against Death Eaters and teach you their origins so you might unleash their power!

First Spell (Resources):

accio (item) - This is a spell of summoning.  The caster must flick his or her want and speak "accio" and then the item which they wish to summon.  Appropriately enough, the word accio is simply "I summon" in Latin.  Now, if my memory serves me, this is how Harry gets his broom to come help him during the Tri-Wizard Tournament (now with 4 wizards!).  So...next time you loose your keys, tv remote, or shotgun, use this spell to help you in your battle!  DISCLAIMER:  As of this last movie it appears this spell is no longer working, they half-heartedly use it a few times and it never works so rely on at your own risk.

Second Spell (Defense):

expecto patronum - As former soulless prison guards, the Dementors sided with the Dark Lord and are now agents for carrying out some of his nefarious deeds or guarding prisoners of war.  With enough constitution, one may drive them off with this spell.  Literally meaning "I await a defender/protector," the Latin based spell takes the form of the caster's ideal depiction of hope, happiness, or joy.  If you find casting this does not drive away your enemies, try shouting the spell using capital letters.

Third Spell (Offense):

oppugno - Taken directly from the Latin word for "attack," oppugno is used in the Harry Potter corpus by Hermione in conjunction with avis to attack Ron.  Why this spell is not used more is beyond me, but I am going to suggest some more things you could "attack" with:

oppugno ursis - Should summon a pack of bears to attack your enemies.


oppugno lupis - Should summon a pack of wolves.


This last version has only been cast once before and after it was summoned it went out of control.  It took a group of brave knights to subdue the creature.  Use only in instances of dire emergency.

oppugno cuniculis caerbannog (Rabbit of Caerbannog)




Really heavy stuff.  For more spells from the Harry Potter universe, check out this page from a website called Wikipedia or something.

If you have any spells you have found particularly useful, or want me to make up an incantation for a spell of your own making, please leave such remarks in the comments below.

MJN

No comments:

Post a Comment