Wednesday, November 21, 2012

StarCraft 2 on Sale!

If you're like me, real time strategy games (RTSs) are a large part of your gaming heritage.  For me it was Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth, and other cheaper games I picked up for 5 bucks at Target.  One that I never got into was StarCraft.

Photo from Wikipedia
Although my RTS strategy doesn't work well in competitive online gaming, I was a fan of building up a big force, a strong economy, and only after a good 30-50 minutes would I make my move hoping for an epic sally from my fortress (my college roommates can attest to my love of walls).  StarCraft just seemed too fast paced back in the day.  I had installed it, tried it a bit, and never got into it.  Perhaps it is unfair of me to judge it so harshly on just one 20 minute experience, but based on the title of this post I think you will realize I have not shunned it forever.

When StarCraft 2 was announced and I started seeing screenshots and hearing news about the upgrade to the decade's old RTS I will admit I was interested.  Perhaps at this time (years after my first experience with the game) I would have enjoyed the first iteration, but I had other things going on.  Initial impressions of watching others play the game definitely had me intrigued.  StarCraft 2's Starter Edition, which allows you to play through the first few missions of the campaign for free, took me from interested to fanatic.  What kept me from it? The $60 price tag. Amazing how that can temper excitement.  I have been waiting and waiting for the price to drop, and as you can guess this has finally happened!

Aside from some initial deals at the game's release, the price has not budged from the $59.99 starting point more than once or twice.  With Black Friday on the horizon however, Blizzard is once again throwing a bone to the players and is now selling StarCraft 2 for only $20! This is extremely tempting, and I think people should take advantage of it.  Unfortunately I don't get a commission if anyone buys it from that link, but still.

The only thing holding me back this time is the same thing that prompted this sale: Black Friday.  Without a doubt Steam will have some sort of Thanksgiving Sale that basically gives away games in a way that you can spend $100 without even realizing it.  My budget for games is very small this year, and quite honestly I shouldn't be buying any.  I still have a good chunk of things I haven't even touched from the Steam Summer Sale.

Having said that, I hope you all have a great gaming season and take advantage of some of the deals that will be out there.

Happy ThanksGaming!

If you have any deals I should know about or you'd like others to, please post a comment and ruin my social life that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment