Thursday, November 8, 2012

Google Alerts

If you're like me, keeping your blog with up to date with timely news is of the utmost importance (see my rant about bad DQ commercials only about half a year after they were released).  The problem is, without my own reporters I have a tough time staying on top of things and making this blog the go to place for all your Science, Sports, and Lifestyle news.

As a Google nerd I am embarrassed that I did not know about the featured product in this article earlier.  In fact, I was told about this from an entomologist who used it to stay on top of all things insects.  But better late than never I always say, so without further ado I give you:


Google Alerts allows people with G-Mail accounts to get a Daily, Weekly, or even "As-it-happens" digest of news from across the internet on different topics you are interested in.  You simply enter the search terms you would normally put in Google to find your news on a topic and voila! E-mails of all new hits on that search sent to your inbox.

I have only just gotten started with this but I see real value in this for anyone who actually needs to stay on top of things.  The afore mentioned entomologist gets alerts for bed bugs and dutch elm disease.  Not my cup of tea, but you understand how that could be valuable for someone who makes a living being an expert on such things.

For me, it is how I get my news on my favorite Doctor:

-"David Tennant"

News on upcoming games:

-"Dust 514"
-"Rome 2 Total War"
-Steam Valve

and upcoming TV Shows:

-"Arrested Development"

Since it is a Google search, you can have quotes to search for a phrase, or just enter in all terms you want covered.  My initial digest for Steam was a little much, but I've thrown in Valve and so far I don't get many results dealing with water pressure.

There are more options and I would encourage you all to experiment with this.  My only concern is that if I don't check my e-mail for a few days I am going to come back to an inbox filled with these, so far though I've kept it under control.

Got anything you think I should add to alerts or are you already using this?  Feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment