Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Un-Convenience of Paychecks

If you're like me, you've been getting your paycheck sent directly to your bank via direct deposit since you got out of high school.  Over time it is easy to just have payday come and go, note that it's time to pay your bills, and have a net gain of $0 once a month.

Now, I'll try to keep personal gripes about my life out of this blog and make this about things that are actually interesting, but this thing has been bugging me since I found out about it on Monday.  For some reason payroll had "issues" processing my check this week so I am receiving a hard copy instead.  I have mixed feelings about this.  Since the bank branch that was literally up the stairs from my work has since converted, this means I have to walk out of my way to deposit this check.  This is rather annoying considering I have bills to pay.  It's October 31st, I have rent and utilities due tomorrow!

Photo from FedUpUSA.org
At the same time this presents a unique opportunity.  It has been a while since I have had to deposit any check at a physical bank so I have the chance to take some cash out.  In the past I had to go to an ATM, but now that I'm at a bank I can withdraw whatever I want.  I can get $20 in quarters and then $17 in cash if I so choose. Ah, freedom!  Maybe I should take it in pennies.  I should also walk through the drive-through so I can use that cool tube system.

Still, very few pluses to offset the minuses.  I find this whole thing very in-convenient. Not only do I have to go out of my way, I "get" to look at everything that has been taken out of my checks.  I'm sort of a out-of-sight out-of-mind kind of person when it comes to money.  It is also the reason I keep little cash on me when possible.  What's a $1.25 for a soda when I've got $100 burning in my pocket?  I tell ya what it's a lot more when you've got 30 cents to get you to the next check.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway.  I think direct deposit is a good thing and hopefully does not go away any time soon.  If it does, I'll have to gold to the old store and smash piggy-bank system.  Although this post may be about 10 year late to be relevant, I feel better and so should you!

Have any other modern conventions you'd be lost without (not including toilets), leave a comment below and feel grateful for the modern world in which you live.



No comments:

Post a Comment